Texas Emissions test

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Texas Vipers. How do you pass the emissions testing required to renew your plates? There's no way in hell my car would pass. Please DM me for non-public solutions.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best bet is to Register your car in a nearby state that doesn't require a N A Z I emissions test. I have seen some do it in MT. Hope you like turning Texas to a Lib-**** state!! Next time don't vote for commies(and they come from both sides of the isle). Last option, move.

Last edited:

viperBase1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALABAMA.

No smog test required AT ALL.
You can get a smog test if you like, but you don't have to do anything about it if it fails. Love it!!

I recently visited Huntsville and toured the northern parts of the state.
The roads were beautiful, very flat and meticulously maintained. Even the shoulders of the roads were beautiful.

If I were to move there, I could lower my Viper again (slam it! like it was when I bought it) and put the Belanger Exhaust back on.

Oh, and very few commies.

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't register in other state. TX law requires a registration change within 90 days of residency.

I've heard TX is thinking of eliminating the inspection requirement but not sure when. In the meantime I've also heard there are ways to get a passing inspection at certain shops. Just don't know where.

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I answered my own question. I just googled it.

So I can just sit it out and wait until next year. I guess my car will be stored for awhile.

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luckily I live in a state that did away with emissions testing, because not enough vehicles fail to justify the cost of the program. That being said, there are a few tricks I used to do to ensure a best result for my vehicles.

#1 Oil change, #2 Plugs/wires, #3 Fresh/clean airfilter, #4 Proper tune, #5 Correct tire pressure, #6 Run the car/cats hot before testing.

More extreme measures would be cleaning out the fuel system and motor with something like Seafoam. Possibly new cats and air sensors depending on condition. People with OG carburetor cars can create a hidden vacuum leak and retard/tune timing accordingly. I've never done it, but it's not uncommon to get down to a 1/4 tank of gas and throw in a bottle or two of HEET. If you are that worried about it, a reputable shop should be able to ensure your car is in proper shape.

viperBase1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper came from Houston and the previous owner (AlexK aka SneakySnakes) got it to pass Texas Smog Test even with the Belanger exhaust.
So it can be done.

Try reaching out to him on Instagram or YouTube (not sure if he's still on UTube).

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The funny thing is auto test shops are complaining that there will be lots of ***** cars on the road without testing. However if you look at all the states without testing there is no such issue. It was just a huge racket to extort people of more money.

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper came from Houston and the previous owner (AlexK aka SneakySnakes) got it to pass Texas Smog Test even with the Belanger exhaust.
So it can be done.

Try reaching out to him on Instagram or YouTube (not sure if he's still on UTube).
Yeah, I know there are ways to do it. That's why I asked people to DM me if they had a solution.

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The funny thing is auto test shops are complaining that there will be lots of ***** cars on the road without testing. However if you look at all the states without testing there is no such issue. It was just a huge racket to extort people of more money.
I'm in WA state, if they did away with it here...what does that tell ya. Cars have met and far exceeded emissions requirements for a very long time.

green_rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of TX has safety tests, and some spots have emissions tests as well. Looks like OP lives in Austin, which is one such spot.

Spike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi GTSnake,
The areas of Texas that require emissions inspections do not test for vehicles that are over 24 years old. So if you are asking about a 97 GTS, you only need the safety inspection. That will not be required after 2025, too.
Spike

Spike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is directly from the DPS.texas.gov website where testing is discussed…

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

• Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, El Paso, Ellis, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, and Williamson.
  • Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
  • Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the two-year initial inspection sticker.
What Type Of Emissions Test Will My Vehicle Receive?
In conjunction with the annual safety inspection, all gasoline powered vehicles from 2 through 24 years old which are registered or primarily operated in emissions counties will receive the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) test.

GTSnake, the OBD II test, that you don’t require, involves plugging in a dongle to the OBD II port on your car and having their computer read the codes.

My car is a 93…once it hit 25 years old, an emissions test has not been required or accomplished. It is the same for a 1990 car that I have. Both are pre OBD II which made for different testing procedures before they were 25, but that muddies the waters for this discussion.

Your testing station should realize this rule. The ones I have used do, or I reminded them. If you are still worried about it, go ask the place you are going to get the safety inspection done.
Enjoy your car here in TX.
Spike

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would add that with Belanger headers, or any headers for that matter, putting the O2 in one pipe will usually not allow you to pass the tail pipe check even with a good set of CATS. That is because the individual cylinders do not run at the same afr . On the Belanger headers the pipe they have the single sensor located tends to run lean which causes the average mixture to run rich. In that case if you move the O2 to the elbow after all five cylinders have joined, the computer will adjust the the average stoichiometric ratio and the CAT will get enough oxygen to reduce the CO and HC.

Last edited:

12Fast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what its worth, I spent 2 1/2 years trying to get my Gen 3 emission approved after I had Heads, Cam, AR headers w/ HF Cats, and ECU tune done. I learned what didn't work when I put the factory exhaust headers and (4) factory cats back on. What finally made it pass was getting the ECU reset back to factory settings. In Wisconsin you had to get 3 of the 4 emission monitors to turn green on the OBD instrument check. Once I got the ECU re-flashed I got four green monitors in less than 10 miles! Since I put my (2) HF cats back on and all emissions reading still good. Also, make sure your (4) Ox sensors are working. Next step is to load the performance tune back on the ECU.

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what its worth, I spent 2 1/2 years trying to get my Gen 3 emission approved after I had Heads, Cam, AR headers w/ HF Cats, and ECU tune done. I learned what didn't work when I put the factory exhaust headers and (4) factory cats back on. What finally made it pass was getting the ECU reset back to factory settings. In Wisconsin you had to get 3 of the 4 emission monitors to turn green on the OBD instrument check. Once I got the ECU re-flashed I got four green monitors in less than 10 miles! Since I put my (2) HF cats back on and all emissions reading still good. Also, make sure your (4) Ox sensors are working. Next step is to load the performance tune back on the ECU.
So you basically did what VW and FCA did to pass testing.:rolaugh: Change the software during the test then change it back. Only difference is you didn't get penalized billions of $$$.

RandyM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Harris County, Texas, but I have 2 PCM's, one stock, one performance. The stock one passes emissions no problem.

gong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's everything. My car doesn't have an issue with a safety test but no way will it pass emissions.
Texas region as well. The way I understand it is emissions will still be required by the counties that do, safety will not/cannot be.

State still collects its 7.50 for doing nothing though!

srt4evah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of TX has safety tests, and some spots have emissions tests as well. Looks like OP lives in Austin, which is one such spot.
I just got my car inspected today, lived in Austin for 17 years, never once had an emissions test performed.

*edit* I should say it's never once had a tailpipe test, they always hook up the OBD II reader. and if you threw a code that's gonna be an issue. I used to know a guy that would pass it for $100, but I hear the state is cracking down now.

srt4evah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I know there are ways to do it. That's why I asked people to DM me if they had a solution.
Is your car showing a CEL? If it's not, you should be fine. The only emissions test is they hook up an OBD II cable and check for any codes, no codes, no problem.

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your car showing a CEL? If it's not, you should be fine. The only emissions test is they hook up an OBD II cable and check for any codes, no codes, no problem.
Oh, Ok, good to know. No CEL on my car. I thought I was going to need to go to one of those back alley shops....

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, Ok, good to know. No CEL on my car. I thought I was going to need to go to one of those back alley shops....
Depends on if you got a tune on it. The check is not just CEL but readiness of the systems and you can't clear codes and go get tested. You need drive cycles. If your tune has emission stuff turned off or deleted, you ain't going to pass.

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well my car has an AEM controller but the ECM is stock. I'm just going to wait until next year to register it.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most scanners have the obd2 test option that can be run for this. This is turning out to be a dip stick thread again.